The SPCM Bookkeeper is responsible for all necessary bookkeeping and accounting functions for the Conservatory and must have the skills to perform their tasks with a high level of accuracy and independence, and the flexibility to adapt to ever-changing grant and information needs. This position works closely with the Executive Artistic Director and Administrative Director, and the Board Treasurer. This is a part-time, non-employee position.
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please apply by June 4, 2018. Open until filled.
The main functions to be performed include:
- Accounts payable: process all bills ensuring accurate coding to multiple functional areas and funding sources; generate checks per the Executive Director's decisions. Process all credit card charges in a similar fashion.
- Accounts receivable: enter all student contracts and family information; update contracts and related information as changes occur; enter all payments by family; reconcile receivables with Filemaker Student database information in conjuction with Administrative Manager. Create reports, statements and invoices as needed.
- Payroll: process bi-weekly payroll and related vendor-teacher payments; generate payroll reports for Executive Artistic Director and Administrative Director; process liability payments; maintain employee payroll records; ensure payroll records comply with legal requirements (e.g., I9, W4, FLSA).
- Banking: complete monthly bank reconciliation(s); generate summary and detail reports for Executive Artistic Director's review
- Other: perform all other tasks as needed including but not limited to petty cash reconciliation, chart of accounts maintenance, maintenance of all accounting software validation lists (such as payroll items, and transaction classification list)
- Monthly financial reports for Board: generate required monthly and periodic reports for Executive Artistic Director and Board Treasurer review. Explain monthly variances, as requested.
- Annual and current financials as requested for grant applications and reporting; prepare additional grant-related reports as requested
- Annual workers compensation audit response
- Other reporting as requested/required
- Payroll: generate all needed payroll liability-related transactions; prepare all required federal and state payroll-related reports (941, MNMW1, MNDEED1, etc); prepare all year-end forms (W2/W3, etc); ensure timely payment of required withholding
- Vendor: generate all needed vendor-related federal and state forms and reports, e.g., 1099-MISC
- Sales: prepare and pay annual Minnesota sales taxes and report same to State of Minnesota
- Corporation: prepare all required schedules for the annual corporate 990 and MN Attorney General Charities reports; cooperate with tax preparers to ensure accurate and timely information flow
- Assist with preparing budgets for SPCM as well as grant applications as requested
Other Duties as assigned/required
Minimum of 7 years of non-profit bookkeeping experience with increasing responsibilities; Associate Degree or Bachelor in bookkeeping or accounting (additional experience may be accepted in lieu of a degree);
Excellent computer skills (including Microsoft Excel, Word, Internet and e-mail);
Proficiency in computer-based accounting systems,proficiency with Filemaker Pro, Quickbooks Nonprofit Professional Desktop Accounting Software experience preferred;
Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills;
High level of accuracy and attention to detail;
Exceptional organizational skills;
High degree of problem-solving skill;
Ability to work both independently and as part of a team;
Ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise judgment over the treatment of sensitive issues; and
Demonstrated ability to work and communicate effectively with people of diverse ethnic, economic, racial and cultural backgrounds.